Wednesday, April 6, 2011

An ER visit for teething...

This is a very humbling post for me to write. In my last post, I told you how we took Carter to the ER with a fever after having his surgery. I was super nervous because of just having surgery, I just didn't want to risk anything. Well, we had our follow up appointment with Carter's surgeon on Monday. He was super surprised when we told him that Carter had a urinary tract infection and asked us how they did the urine analysis. We told him that they used a bag and didn't do a catheter. He then told us (trying to be as nice as possible) that after having a surgery in that area, a bag analysis will most likely not produce an accurate result because there are things down there that can contaminate the test which would make it look like a bladder infection when in fact, it probably isn't. He also told us that when he said to call him if we had any concerns or questions, he meant day or night, seven days a week. He said that surgeons have to be available to their patients 24/7. If we had called him when Carter had his fever, he would have calmed us down and we wouldn't have gone to the ER. So I still asked him why Carter had a fever for two days. He simply responded, "probably a virus." Somehow at 4:30 in the morning, five days after his surgery, that just didn't cross my mind. The worst part about all of this...when we got home from the appointment, we noticed Carter had three brand new little poky teeth coming through his gums. His crankiness for days, his clear runny nose for days, and very possibly his fever, was all because of teething. Really?!?!?! Seriously?!?!?! All of that for three new teeth coming in. I felt dumb! But, I am going to chalk it up to being new parents and lesson learned. If another one of our babies ever has to have surgery and something concerns us, we will always call the surgeon first. We will also check for new teeth!

This is my humbling mom moment for the week...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness do NOT feel dumb! I wouldn't have known what to do either..especially with him JUST having surgery! I don't care what the dr. said-you did the right thing :) Glad Carter is doing good though!!Let's get together!!!

    ReplyDelete