Monday, April 25, 2011

14 months

It seems I am now going to write monthy blogs about Carter every other month. For some reason I skipped 13 months but I think it makes sense to start going every other month. So here is our Carter man at 14 months old...

He is a walking man 100% of the time. He started walking on his first birthday and took it real slow for about a month. Right about 13 months, he decided he preferred walking to crawling and just took off. He loves it! He seems happier and more content now that he can walk all the time. He LOVES walking outside and could do it ALL DAY LONG! He throws a fit when I bring him back inside after a little walking adventure in the yard or down on the sidewalk. He loves going across the street when our neighbor and her dog are out in the yard. He loves the dog Cooper and loves walking around her driveway and up and down the curb. He loves pushing anything he can including his stroller, chairs, his horse, his push cart, toys, etc. I would say that walking is his favorite thing at the moment and we just love it! I actually don't think that it has really made our lives harder like I thought it would. I think it has made some things actually way easier. I love being able to set him down somewhere and I know he will stay off the floor. The walking thing has definatley been his biggest change over the last two months.

He still has many other "loves" in his life...mommy, daddy, grandparents, dogs, all animals, chuggington (cartoon), his blankie (he is still obsessed with his blankie and I love it!), flowers, graham crackers, keys, bath time, playing in the bathroom (not one of my favorite of his loves,) standing on the couch looking out the window, his toothbrush, oranges, bananas, pens/pencils, mama's water bottle, Max, and anything that he can do independently!

We have officially finished nursing. I am so thankful for 13 1/2 months of nursing but also feel very ready to be done. I had many goals along the way and I surpassed all of them, for which I am proud. My first goal was to make it to six months, then 12 months, then I said I would stop at 14 months. Carter just seemed ready to be done about two weeks ago which was just perfect timing for both of us.

He is sleeping great still but lately has been getting up way too early in the morning. Anywhere from 5:30 to 7:30 but pretty much anything before 7 is way too early for me! Today he slept till 8:30 though which was a tremendous shock and a huge blessing! Naps are still good but they seem to be getting a little shorter. Most days he still needs two, especially on those days that he is up by 6. He usually does an hour to an hour and a half morning nap and the same thing in the afternoon. I am going to keep letting him take two naps until it just isn't working. I like the two seperate breaks during the day.

He has so many teeth now that I actually can't count how many he has. I think he has 12 but he makes it almost impossible to see in his mouth most of the time. Usually I can only see back up there when I am changing his diaper and he is screaming. But I have to look quick and it is hard to count. He had a really rough couple of weeks about 2-3 weeks ago and I am pretty sure that is when a few more teeth came through. I know he has at least 12 with the possibility of more up there.

He is still a super happy guy with lots of smiles and giggles throughout the day. He is a little more shy with new people than he used to be though. He isn't loving the nursery right now and cries everytime we drop him off. He always stops by the time I peek at him a couple of minutes later. He also isn't loving being left with the babysitter at our Life Group. He did better last week and only screamed for a few minutes and then only a couple times throughout the night. The week before he screamed pretty much the whole time. It was really hard on me because that just isn't my boy. He is such a happy guy but he is definately going throug an "I want mommy or daddy" phase right now.

He loves to play with us and trick us. Jay will ask him for a kiss and Carter will go in for it and then stop and look away with a smile on his face. He is so silly. He loves to make us laugh! He will try to give Jay a drink from his sippy cup and when Jay gets close to it he will pull it away and laugh. He is just so silly.

He is an independent little guy and extremely determined. He has a little bit of his mommy's personality on that one. :)

He loves to eat but has his super picky moments. He loves graham crackers, goldfish, black beans, any kind of cheese, avacodo, oranges, bananas, whole wheat bread, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, macaroni and cheese, most spaghetti type meals, and usually whatever Jay and I are eating at the time. He also loves to throw food on the floor and doesn't really like trying new things. It seems like it takes a few tries to get him to try something new. It drives me crazy but I am trying really hard to not let meal time become a battle.

He talks all the time and seems to really be trying to say things. Every once in a while it seems like an actual word comes out but we just aren't completely sure right now. He is a babbler though!

He is sweet and loving, loves to give kisses and loves to us and to all of his stuffed animals. He is stubborn and defiant like most toddlers but fills our hearts with more joy than we new was possible. We are extremely thankful for Carter and can't even imagine what are life was like before he entered our family.

We love you Carter! Happy fourteen months (tomorrow!) We can't beleive how fast you are growing and changing!

No comments:

Post a Comment