Friday, June 22, 2012

2012 Week #18


This salad was really good but I learned a few things that I would do differently the next time I make it.  It was healthy (for the most part) and very tasty.  It was a little time consuming just because of chopping stuff but not bad. 


The first thing that I would do differently is less green peppers or chop them much smaller.  I was getting a little tired of biting into such big chunks of green pepper.  But just putting less or chopping much smaller would solve that problem. 

It makes a large amount!  The bowl we had when it was done would have probably served 5-7 people.  Jay and I could not get through much of it and then it was just wasted.  Since I put the dressing on the entire thing by the time we were done eating the left overs were super soggy.  Jay ate some the next day but I just couldn't handle it.  So next time (and there will be a next time!) I will only put dressing on what we think we can eat and then do more dressing when we eat it the next day. 

I would also cook my chicken differently.  I didn't plan ahead.  If I had realized that it said shredded chicken I would have cooked the chicken in the crock pot.  Since I didn't plan ahead I had Jay grill the chicken.  It was good and Jay said he actually liked it that way better than if we had shredded it but I think I would have preferred shredded.  So next time I plan on crock potting it and comparing the two :) 

Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad

salad:
2 cups shredded chicken
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can sweet yellow corn (or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed)
2 roma tomatoes, diced
4 green onions, sliced
1 head ice berg lettuce, washed and chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 ripe avocados, diced
1 cup crushed tortilla chips


dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup Greek yogurt
1 tbsp ranch seasoning
1 tbsp taco seasoning


Directions:


In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients together, excluding the tortilla chips.


In a small bowl stir all dressing ingredients together. Pour dressing over salad, starting with about half of the dressing. Toss to combine, then gradually add more dressing until it is dressed to your liking. Top with tortilla chips. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment